Owen and Hancock lead Ossett to win

Evo Stik North

Ossett Town 3-1 Colne

Liam Owen’s smile could be seen for miles after he scored his first ever goal for Ossett Town

Second half goals from Liam Owen and Kai Hancock secured a very deserved victory for play-offs chasing Ossett Town.

The headlines belonged to substitute Owen, whose star continues to shine brighter and brighter each week as he hit the magnificent and crucial second goal – which incredibly came just six minutes after he had come on as a replacement for Steve Ridley.

What it meant to him will have been visible for miles because the smile of sheer joy on his face was so big – and it is easy to understand why.

Owen played for Athersley last season in the NCEL and in the summer, he took a leap of faith by asking for a trial with Ossett in the league above.

By working really hard for four months he has fully grasped the brilliant opportunity and repaid the faith that Grant Black, who hailed the youngster in his interview, had in him.

Owen’s moment of glory ensured Ossett finally seized control on a game that they had dominated.

Off-the-back of a rare foray forward and against the run of play, Colne had held an early lead as poor defending enabled Oliver Wood to break clear. Home goalkeeper Leigh Overton performed his usual heroics with a smart save, but the rebound fell to Oliver Crankshaw who couldn’t miss.

Ossett were never going to panic. Since taking over in February 2016, Black has installed determination, organisation, discipline and doggedness and that was evident as it always is.

Colne survived a barrage of pressure in the lead-up to Ossett’s equaliser. Man of the match Danny South had a header cleared off-the-line and another palmed away from danger by the Colne goalkeeper Hakan Burton.

Eventually a needless handball allowed the prolific South to level the scores from the penalty spot.

Ossett continued to enjoy near-total dominance in the second half. Overton only had one brief moment of danger to deal with throughout the 45 minutes.

A Ossett goal seemed inevitable and that came with 22 minutes remaining. The orchestrator was Hancock as he showed great guile down the right to beat his man and find his good friend Owen, whose composure to strike home from 18-yards through a crowded penalty area was excellent.

If the visitors thought they could reply, they didn’t help themselves. Colne left-back Lee Pugh then pressed the self-destruct button with a brainless challenge on Jake Ellam which earned him a red card.

Colne were left even more disjointed and that showed as Ossett scented blood and went for the kill.

The visitors were all over the place at the back and the fact that South, who is not one of the quickest players around, was able to break clear underlined that. He squared to Hancock who somehow blazed the ball over the crossbar, despite the empty goal gaping.

The former Athersley striker did make amends though two minutes later as Colne came up with some more kamikaze defending.

Sensing that a long ball was winnable, Hancock scampered like a greyhound to beat defender Jonathan Hodgkinson. The Colne player made a meal of trying to trap the ball and Hancock nipped in to score and round off a great afternoon for Ossett.

What They Said

Ossett Town manager Grant Black

The Team

Ossett Town: Overton, Mackie, Jackson, Gregory, Snowden (captain), Ellam, Ridley (Owen 62), South, Hancock (Deacey 84), Sinclair (Mawson 78). Subs unused: Wright, Pembleton.

Man of the Match

Danny South (Ossett Town)

Prolific striker South was simply unplayable. His hold-up play was brilliant and he was a key mastermind behind Ossett’s victory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *