Rhodes continues hot-streak in Campion’s victory

North West Counties League First Division One North Round-Up

Tough centre-half Luke Rhodes has been somewhat of a goal machine for Campion recently

Luke Rhodes’ quick-fire double helped push six-unbeaten Campion to the cusp of the play-offs zone.

After recovering from a terrible start to the season, Lee Ashforth and James Bicknell’s men are only six points off the top five. 

Campion had to come from behind to claim their latest win – the 2-1 success at Nelson.

Nelson had taken the lead a minute into the second half through Nathan Webb. 

However, the response was magnificent as it was all level within three minutes – Rhodes netting from a Campion free kick.

The defender, who has been a colossal figure and a bit of a goal machine during the great run, then scored again 120 seconds later.

This time it was a trademark header at the back-post from a corner.

Steeton striker Kayle Price scored twice

Steeton are on a roll after a third consecutive victory as they beat Garstang 4-1 at Marley Stadium.

In-form duo Joe Snowden and Kayle Price both scored twice and they were both involved in the second minute opener.

Snowden travelled 40 yards with the ball without having to dodge a tackle and he played in Price who opened the scoring.

A generous penalty allowed Zack Clarke to equalise on the half-hour mark.

The lead was restored literally a minute later as Steeton won a spot kick of their own and Price slammed it home.

It wasn’t until the 77th minute when Steeton put the game beyond their visitors.

Andy Briggs crossed the ball into the danger zone and Snowden met it.

Snowden grabbed his second with four minutes to go – a long range effort that evaded the clutches of the Garstang goalkeeper.

Ilkley Town manager Simon Armstrong

Ilkley Town took the lead at Pilkington but unfortunately Simon Armstrong’s side lost 4-2.

Tom Smith scored an easy finish to place Ilkley ahead in the seventh minute.

Pilkington gained a 2-1 advantage before George Gomersall blasted home an equaliser early in the second half.

But the hosts soon scored again and a 94th minute winner sealed their win.

Golcar United were the odd team out this week.

Their next game is on Tuesday night when they travel to promotion rivals Bury AFC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *