Second weekend of friendlies behind closed doors

Six people went to desperate lengths to watch Glasshoughton’s 0-0 draw with Hemsworth. Picture: Darren Holmes via Facebook

Plenty of pre-season friendlies were held across Yorkshire, once again with spectators shut out.

Fans continue to be banned from attending fixtures due to the Government restrictions which are likely to remain unchanged for at least another week and probably longer given the strict rules placed on Greater Manchester, Preston, Bradford, Kirklees and Calderdale.

Bad feeling towards the rules among shut-out spectators has been displayed on Twitter and some Step 5 and 6 clubs are increasingly concerned the current rules will remain in place for a while, which in turn will bring back financial worries. 

Even playing pre-season games behind closed doors incur costs as most officials will expect to receive a fee and midweek fixtures require the use of floodlights. With the season for NCEL clubs planed for September 5th, most clubs must be able to have spectators through the door to operate in a financially-sound manner.

Several people went to bizarre lengths to watch Glasshoughton Welfare’s 0-0 draw with Hemsworth Miners Welfare. A picture showing six people stood on Leeds Road under-lined the desire of many who want to watch Non League Football again.

Anyone watching from behind a wall at Goole AFC will have seen a swash-buckling performance as Lutel James and Les Nelson’s men beat York League outfit Dringhouses 5-0. Reagan Waud got two and Nathan Keightley, Josh Schofield and Tawheed Ahmed were also on the score-sheet.

Goals from Michael Coulson and new striker Nathan Cartman earned Scarborough Athletic a 2-1 victory at Yorkshire Amateur. Roy Fogarty got the Ammers’ goal.

Action from Armthorpe’s draw at Epworth. Picture: Steve Pennock

Armthorpe Welfare got their pre-season schedule of matches under way with a 1-1 draw away to new Lincolnshire League side Epworth Town Colts.

Eight minutes into the second half, Welfare took the lead. James Arnold’s ball in following a corner was knocked down by Conner Williamson before being half-cleared to Paul Sherburn who hit a first time shot into the net from the edge of the box.

Epworth grabbed an equaliser with seven minutes to play when they won a corner on their right and when the ball was played in captain Ryan Douglas rose to head in.

Dan Thirkell and Josh Wicks were on target as Knaresborough Town defeated Pickering Town 2-1 at Manse Lane. New Pickering captain Wayne Brooksby was their goal-scorer.

Campion were beaten 3-0 by Ossett United, with Aaron Haswell (2) and Tom Greaves getting the goals.

Athersley Rec lost by the same score-line at a strong Belper Town side, who are of course managed by Grant Black, former Ossett Town manager who transformed them from relegation candidates into play-off finalists between 2016 and 2017.

Worsbrough Bridge narrowly lost 3-2 at Yorkshire Amateur League Supreme Division outfit Littletown. 

Late goals from Sam Robinson and Richard Medcalf helped Leon Sewell’s Hall Road Rangers win 3-1 against Lincolnshire League side Immingham Town at Haworth Park. Double-goalscorer Robinson had broken the deadlock earlier on in the clash.

2 thoughts on “Second weekend of friendlies behind closed doors

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *