Walmsley scores clincher as nine man Ponte win shootout in FA Cup

Callum Walmsley scored the winning penalty for Pontefract

Andy Monkhouse enjoyed the most dramatic start possible in his first competitive match in charge of nine-man Pontefract Collieries.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, the Colls nearly won the FA Cup Preliminary Round in the 90 minutes until a last minute penalty made it 2-2 and rescued Hebburn Town.

Fortunately in the shootout, Ponte were top notch as after goalkeeper Mike Emery had saved one, defender Callum Walmsley stepped up to seal a 5-3 spot kicks victory.

Considering Gavin Rothery was sent off for a rash challenge in the 16th minute, just after Damian Reeves had fired the Colls ahead, it was a remarkable victory.

Edwyn Scott quickly levelled for Hebburn, but instead of folding, new-look Ponte seized the lead again midway through the second half. Fabian Bailey crossed and Dan Keane was on hand to head home.

The tie reached its most dramatic heights in the final few minutes. Dom Claxton was dismissed for denying an obviously goal-scoring opportunity initially. Then 120 seconds later, Sam Tingle’s foul led to a penalty which former Harrogate Town forward Graeme Armstrong converted.

Fortunately Ponte had the last laugh.

Tadcaster Albion enjoyed a 2-1 victory at Guisborough Town – Bailey Thompson and Ofoegbu Ifeanyi scored.

Tyler Blake, Brad Grayson and Jake Wightwick scored for Frickley Athletic as they dispatched Newcastle Benfield 3-1 at Westfield Lane.

In the BBC televised tie, Scott Ruthven levelled for Stocksbridge Park Steels, but Stalybridge Celtic won 3-1.

Ossett United unfortunately surrendered a two-goal at Consett. The tie finished 2-2 and home side Consett won 5-4 on penalties. Jack Stockdill and an own goal had put Ossett in a commanding position.

Brighouse Town also lost by the same score-line on penalties at Runcorn Town. Eddy Church had scored in the 1-1 draw.

There was disappointment for our Yorkshire NCEL clubs too. Silsden lost 5-2 to Bootle, while Maltby Main were beaten 4-0 by Newark.

Albion Sports lost 2-0 at Runcorn Linnets and although Toby Harris gave Knaresborough Town early hope against Workington, Paul Stansfield’s men lost 3-1 at Manse Lane.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *