Selby brutally decapitate Worsbrough in five-star display

Toolstation NCEL Division One 

Worsbrough Bridge 0-5 Selby Town 

Selby Town striker Liam Flanagan

Selby Town brutally decapitated Worsbrough Bridge with a five-star display to move firmly back in the play-offs picture.

Selby, who were 3-0 up at half-time, showed absolutely no mercy and more names could have easily joined Liam Flanagan (2), Dan Davison, Harry Clapham and Luke Balderson on the score-sheet.

That was how dominant they were in a win that lifted them to fifth.

Worsbrough has proved to be a problematic hunting ground for Christian Fox in the past but on this occasion his men delivered arguably their best performance of the campaign – an quintessential one that the NCEL has come to expect during his reign as Selby boss.

Worsbrough’s poor display was uncharacteristic of them under Luke Forgione – and even more surprising as they had won at surprise package Rossington Main on Saturday.

Selby took control immediately as Flanagan struck gold inside the opening 60 seconds after burying a shot from the left-hand side of the penalty area.

By the 30 minute mark the game was over.

The home defence stood and watched as the unmarked Davison prodded in Luke Sellers’ cross from close range to double Selby’s lead.

The third goal would have been loved by Jeremy Beadle. 

Selby planted a harmless ball in the right channel and goalkeeper Ross Pritchard raced out needlessly in a maverick fashion and only succeeded in smashing the ball straight at Flanagan.

The ball literally cannoned off an unmoved Flanagan and landed on the edge of the penalty where Clapham sent it into the empty net.

Worsbough’s woes continued with the very harsh sin-binning of defender Alex O’Connor.

Apart from one save at the beginning of the second half, Selby goalkeeper Tom Brown was untroubled throughout.

Selby were ruthless but they may look back and rue some of the missed chances.

Flanagan was denied by a brilliant last-ditch goal-saving tackle by defender Luke Danville.

The striker then missed a close range tap-in as Pritchard redeemed himself by making himself big to deny him.

Selby’s perseverance was rewarded with two quick-fire goals in the last few minutes.

Harry Sheppard made the goal with a brilliant run from deep to the penalty area.

The ball found substitute Balderson who sent a rocket into the top corner.

A penalty after Clapham was chopped down in the final minute finished the job, ensuring Flanagan had the first and last word.

The Teams 

Worsbrough Bridge: Pritchard, Smith, Hague, Wilson, Danville, O’Connor, Sheppard, Glavin (captain) (Sawyer 69), Jepps (Francis 66), Holt, Hutchinson (Carter 82). Subs unused: Cawthorn, Kershaw.

Selby Town: Brown, Sheppard, Sellers, Rogerson, Gothard (captain), Qualter, Davison, Murray, Flanagan, Clapham (Henderson 90), Clamp (Balderson 82). Subs unused: Ward, Lawman. 

Who Was In Charge 

Joshua Martin (5/10)

How Many Were There 


Man of the Match 

Luke Sellers (Selby Town)

Selby Town left-back Luke Sellers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.